Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thankful mama

Happy Thanksgiving!!  I love this holiday . . .my favorite people, delectable dishes, comfy couches and a roaring fire.  The only pressure I feel is not burning my pies!  There has been a lot of thankful talk and postings this month and I find that remembering what there is to be grateful for always puts life in perspective. The kids spent a lot of time writing their own thankful lists, which were so special to read.  There's a lot of tired, anxiety and sheer responsibility that can fill all hours of a mom's life, but remembering the little things I love constantly makes all worthwhile.   Given this is my blog about what I learn from being a mom, here area few of  the countless thanks-filled moments I'm grateful for that mamahood has provided:

1. Shaking hands holding a pregnancy test watching two lines form after months and months of trying to get pregnant and an inexplicable explosion of emotion that a little life was inside of me

2.  Feeling the first fluttering sensation of my daughter's movement

3.   Amazing medical care, doctors and technology that saved my firstborn's life (another blog to come later about this!)

4.  Seeing her face for the very first time and counting the tiniest little fingers and toes I had ever seen

5.  Walking into all of their bedrooms and breathing in the sweet, smell of their skin and "babiness" that engulfed the room (not including the sensations of full diapers that, at times, also could permeate the room)

6.  Chubby, sticky fingers choosing to grab mine

7.  The swelling pride of seeing first steps and hearing the blissful, sweet first utterance of "mama"

8.  Sad eyes that lock on to mine and find comfort only in my arms

9.  The simplicity in my kisses being able to heal all hurts

10.  The sheer wonder and delight in finding ladybugs, blowing dandelions into the wind, chasing bubbles, first snowfalls, hot chocolate after sledding, bare feet digging into sand, jumping over waves, catching fireflies, licking the beaters, finding a rainbow, jumping and splashing through puddles . . .I could go on and on

11.   I am thankful to be the most important person in the world to these little people

12.  That when they are scared, snuggling in bed and backrubs make everything better

13.  I'm thankful for footie jammies and breathing in after-bath skin

14.  Bedtime prayers and hugs that don't let go

15.  Homemade cards and laminated Christmas ornaments

16.  Watching them sleep at night 

17.   Huge smiles when they're so proud to tell me of a latest accomplishment

18.  Dancing in the kitchen and singing wonderful nonsense until we are heaped in a pile in peals of uncontrollable laughter

19.  After school snacks and conversations that let me into their hearts

20.  Having these miniature, fantastically and wonderfully amazing creatures trust you with their everything and getting to be their heroes who grow into friends . . .

Happy Thanksgiving!


No comments:

Post a Comment