Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Mother-hawk eyes


Occasionally I may insert flashbacks from past mamahood moments that I'll keep preserved in the memory banks of my mind such as this one . . .

Every weekday at precisely 3:00 pm is one of my favorite recurring moments.  The car rider line of mini vans and station wagons stretches around a corner in the parking lot not visible to the eyes of the pint sized riders.  But to me, I have a VIP seat to a sight that surprisingly changes only in the details of what color dress, converse sneakers and whether it’s a braid or pony tail day.  What happens remains the same and I keep treasured  in a special corner of my heart.  The intercom blares “last call for car riders,” and miniature people start pouring out of the gates of first grade.  She walks out timidly, a turquoise tinker bell back pack half the size of her, strapped on her little frame. Nervously her eyes dart up and down the line of mommies and then not yet seeing me in her quick 30 second search she walks back to the teacher on duty and waits quietly looking straight ahead for me to find her.  Because I can’t leave the other two kids alone in the car, I begin a little wave and a moderately loud “Emma, over here!” that she never hears as her intense focus to find me overshadows what’s clearly in front of her.  As I zone in on her, as only a mother hawk can, her eyes have a shy insecurity as she twists the straps of her backpack between her fingers waiting for me to claim her. Then proceeding with a more acrobatic and enthusiastic attempt of hand waving, jumping and exertion of vocal cords, her eyes catch mine and I witness a wave of assuredness warm her soul and all insecurity melts away.  A smile erupts over her soft golden face and her olive eyes twinkle with delight.  She belongs to me and there she finds confidence.  We laugh together as I tease her that as always I am right in front of her and she just searches too hard to find me.
    Likewise, so many times I need the assuredness that God is always waiting for me.  There is never a need to wonder whether he will show up, nor whether he wants to be there to take me with him.  In fact, he is often doing acrobatics and actively exerting his energies to prove his presence to me.  Often the anxieties and  stresses in life make me look past the peace that God continually offers right in front of me.  He knows me and understands me like no one else and he looks to give me strength if I follow him.

"For the eyes of the LORD range throughout the earth to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him."
2 Chronicles 16:9


1 comment: